Mayor’s Healthiest Schools
What are the Mayor’s Healthiest School Awards?
As an extension of the Mayor’s Health and Fitness Council (MHFC) Partnership Certification Program, the Mayor’s Healthiest School Awards highlight schools that have implemented healthy changes to create school environments that support the health and well-being of students. Schools that demonstrate practices above the state and federal standards are eligible to earn an award. Awards are granted at the Elementary and Middle School levels.
Who can apply?
Districts with any school within the Austin city limits is eligible to apply, including: Austin Independent School District, Manor Independent School District, Pflugerville Independent School District, Round Rock Independent School District, Leander Independent School District, Del Valle Independent School District, Eanes Independent School District.
All schools that apply for the MHFC Healthiest School Awards will be considered. No preference will be given to school size, location, public/private sector, school district, etc. Winners will be determined using a point system based off responses to the online application.
How does a school apply for the MHFC Healthiest School Awards?
Schools interested in applying for the MHFC Healthiest School Awards must complete the online application. If you would like to review the questions prior to completing your school’s application, a PDF of the Mayor’s Healthiest Schools Application is available.
What is the application deadline?
Applications are due by close of business on Friday, May 31, 2019.
Why should my school apply?
Each year, the MHFC hosts an awards ceremony at City Hall to recognize the efforts of partners who strive to make Austin the fittest, healthiest community in America.
Schools with an ‘Exemplary’ rating receive:
- Eligibility to win Mayor’s Healthiest School Award and mini-grant
- Outdoor vinyl banner
- Group recognition & photo at the awards ceremony
- Recognition on the MHFC website as an exemplary school
In addition, the following awards will be presented to the top 3 elementary and 1 middle schools:
- $1,000 mini-grant to support ongoing school health and wellness initiatives *
- Outdoor vinyl banner
- Individual recognition & photo at the awards ceremony with the Mayor
- Recognition on the MHFC website as a Mayor’s Healthiest School Award winner
* Winners will be required to return a reflection in the format the winner prefers (i.e. Word document, video, blog, etc.) within the first semester after winning the grant. More details will be provided to winning campuses.
When is the Mayor’s Health and Fitness Awards ceremony?
Save the Date for the MHFC Awards Ceremony at City Hall scheduled for Friday, September 13, 2019. Recipients of recognition awards and grants will be notified during the summer. All campuses are encouraged to bring Administrators and other staff involved in health efforts to be recognized.See All Healthiest School Winners
Thank you to St. David’s Foundation for making this year’s Mayor’s Heath & Fitness Awards possible!